10 August 2026

Another Name for Portrayal

I previously mentioned something in Omnia called Portrayal. It isn't an essential component of the rules. It just serves as a potential guide/reminder for characterization and/or visualization for both player characters and non-player characters. It's purely optional and has no impact on the actual game mechanics of Omnia. I am not fully satisfied with the term itself, though. The word connotes a recommendation, which I do not intend. I do not wish "Portrayal" to convey a recommendation for portraying or imagining a character a certain way. Rather, I wish it to be an optional inspiration.

In Decidedly Six-Sided (one of my other blogs), I decided to use another term for the same idea: "Hypothetical Casting." I think it conveys exactly what I want without the necessity of explanation. It doesn't tell you how to portray a character. It doesn't tell you how to imagine a character. It simply says this is someone else who might conceivably play the role—do what you wish with the information. So, I might change the term in the rules. I'm contemplating it.

P.S. The series of articles in which I am trying out the term is part of RPGaDay 2026. My contribution on my own blog involves the creation of non-player characters (or possibly player characters) for Ghostbusters: A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game. You may find them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment